Jog-A-Thon
Friday's (2/20/09) event started off nice and sunny! Our room mom got us all squared around with the names of the kids we would record laps for, writing the names of the kids on each of the cards and water bottles, and getting all the kids pumped for the event. I was then assigned to send the kids into the classroom to put on their T-shirts. All the parent helpers were then given their clip boards, kids water bottles, and markers. We went out to the field and waited by the sign for our teachers and kids to come out. Our kids were then divided into the groups and told who they would report to, reminded that they needed to stop each lap for a mark on their card, given their water bottles, and lined up for a picture.
Here are all the kids in Dimitri's class. Dimitri is on the far right. He insisted on looking dapper for the race. Why? I'm not sure but whatever. Shortly after this picture was taken the kids were off and running. The parents all stood on the side of the track and cheered the kids on. I would call out a name when I happened to see one of my scouts or another of the kids I knew. The 3 kids I kept track of did really good! One even won the 2nd grade girls first place medal. Dimitrios ended up with 11 laps, which I thought was pretty good for his first marathon.
After the marathon was completed everyone gathered in the quad area for Popsicles while the parents turned in the paperwork. Then they all went back into the classroom for a little while to do some work until the awards ceremony and basketball game. They gave a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for every class (most times there was more than one kid in each place) then the basketball game commenced. It was teachers versus 6th graders. The game was fast and furious with an injury in the first couple of minutes. The final score was teachers 28 and students 26. About half way through most of the kids were up and about. Dimitri had his shirt signed by no less than 6 kids and mom at that point. We ushered all the kids back to the classroom and school commenced as usual. All in all it was a lot of fun. I'll probably do it again next year.
Here are all the kids in Dimitri's class. Dimitri is on the far right. He insisted on looking dapper for the race. Why? I'm not sure but whatever. Shortly after this picture was taken the kids were off and running. The parents all stood on the side of the track and cheered the kids on. I would call out a name when I happened to see one of my scouts or another of the kids I knew. The 3 kids I kept track of did really good! One even won the 2nd grade girls first place medal. Dimitrios ended up with 11 laps, which I thought was pretty good for his first marathon.
After the marathon was completed everyone gathered in the quad area for Popsicles while the parents turned in the paperwork. Then they all went back into the classroom for a little while to do some work until the awards ceremony and basketball game. They gave a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for every class (most times there was more than one kid in each place) then the basketball game commenced. It was teachers versus 6th graders. The game was fast and furious with an injury in the first couple of minutes. The final score was teachers 28 and students 26. About half way through most of the kids were up and about. Dimitri had his shirt signed by no less than 6 kids and mom at that point. We ushered all the kids back to the classroom and school commenced as usual. All in all it was a lot of fun. I'll probably do it again next year.
Comments