Another Weekend Cooking Day
After spending most of Saturday at the OC Fair eating fatty food like garlic french fries, curly fries, and deep fried Oreos... It was nice to have a good protein like DBQ Pulled Pork. (Yep, DBQ not BBQ because my son created base for the sauce. My hubby added to it. All I can say is YUM!) I got my veggies by finishing off the celery with fermented zucchini dip (which tastes like hummus and is not gross at all).
Anyway, smelling all that smoked goodness from the various vendors at the fair my hubby and son got it in their heads to smoke the shoulder roast I had in the freezer. So we pulled our roommates Weber kettle grill up on to the deck, cleaned it out, scrubbed it down and gathered everything for smoking meat only to realized we had basically no charcoal to light the darn thing. My hubby and son put the wood chips in water to soak, I started laundry, put the frozen roast in cold water to thaw, and went to the store and grabbed a couple small bags of Kingsford Charcoal (big bags were gone as they were on sale and the other large bags had starting fluid on them).
When the roast was completely thawed I dried the roast, grabbed the smokey rub my son makes, and rubbed down the roast while my son went about lighting the charcoal in the chimney. Only had one small pyro incident. While the meat soaked in the rub I helped my son put out his little fire, line up the unlit charcoal in the grill base, and get the drip/steam pan set.
Then my son practiced putting the components together a couple times. When he was satisfied I showed him how to pick up the chimney and had him put the lit charcoal on half of the unlit charcoal. Then, he took the all metal tongs and made sure all the hot charcoal was neatly stacked below the grill grate line with no pyro incident here. I think he was excited because he was using his dad's grill glove and we allowed him to be the "man in charge" of the project.
Next he took the drip/steam pan and placed it on the grate by the coals to create the "cool" side of the grill the meat would go on. Finally he and I worked together to put the soaked Hickory wood chips on the lit coals. He placed the grate and put the cover on to let the smoke build up while we went into the house to grab the roast. By the time we got back out to the grill some great smoke was pouring out. We placed the meat and let it go timing when we would need to add more wood chips.
Once we figured out we needed to add more wood chips every 25 minutes he set the kitchen timer and we worked together to keep a constant smoke going. He would lift out and hold the grate with the meat, I would stack on more wood chips, and he would put the grate and cover back in place. We started the meat at approximately 2:45 and pulled it off at about 7:45. It turned out amazing!!! Wish I had remembered to take pictures of the process! Maybe next time.
Anyway, smelling all that smoked goodness from the various vendors at the fair my hubby and son got it in their heads to smoke the shoulder roast I had in the freezer. So we pulled our roommates Weber kettle grill up on to the deck, cleaned it out, scrubbed it down and gathered everything for smoking meat only to realized we had basically no charcoal to light the darn thing. My hubby and son put the wood chips in water to soak, I started laundry, put the frozen roast in cold water to thaw, and went to the store and grabbed a couple small bags of Kingsford Charcoal (big bags were gone as they were on sale and the other large bags had starting fluid on them).
When the roast was completely thawed I dried the roast, grabbed the smokey rub my son makes, and rubbed down the roast while my son went about lighting the charcoal in the chimney. Only had one small pyro incident. While the meat soaked in the rub I helped my son put out his little fire, line up the unlit charcoal in the grill base, and get the drip/steam pan set.
Then my son practiced putting the components together a couple times. When he was satisfied I showed him how to pick up the chimney and had him put the lit charcoal on half of the unlit charcoal. Then, he took the all metal tongs and made sure all the hot charcoal was neatly stacked below the grill grate line with no pyro incident here. I think he was excited because he was using his dad's grill glove and we allowed him to be the "man in charge" of the project.
Next he took the drip/steam pan and placed it on the grate by the coals to create the "cool" side of the grill the meat would go on. Finally he and I worked together to put the soaked Hickory wood chips on the lit coals. He placed the grate and put the cover on to let the smoke build up while we went into the house to grab the roast. By the time we got back out to the grill some great smoke was pouring out. We placed the meat and let it go timing when we would need to add more wood chips.
Once we figured out we needed to add more wood chips every 25 minutes he set the kitchen timer and we worked together to keep a constant smoke going. He would lift out and hold the grate with the meat, I would stack on more wood chips, and he would put the grate and cover back in place. We started the meat at approximately 2:45 and pulled it off at about 7:45. It turned out amazing!!! Wish I had remembered to take pictures of the process! Maybe next time.
Comments