Barbacoa
This weekend started out somewhat slow on the food front. Our oven decided to stop working. We're not sure what's going on with it but the pilot light is not on nor is there gas coming into the oven so we can't light it manually either. The stove top works just fine so not sure what is going on with the oven. Guess we'll have to call for service. Next Jeff was trying to fix the plunger in one of the bathroom sinks. While cleaning it one of the plastic pieces broke apart and he noticed the plunger itself had lost it's seal (not sure where it went). So now the sink I use every morning is not totally put together (one of the pieces I got didn't work).
Anyway, we pulled a huge pork loin out of the deep freeze on Friday morning fully expecting that by Saturday around noon it would be thawed completely. It wasn't thawed all the way through but it was thawed enough that Jeff was able to cut it in half using a giant chef knife. He cut off three steaks from the end that was thawed the most. Then we put each large piece into a slow cooker and put them back in the refrigerator to thaw completely.
While Jeff and Dimitri went out to grab a couple things we needed I made some buttermilk ranch dressing and blue cheese dressing. I also put together the Barbacoa marinade. It is a recipe Rick Bayless made on his TV show where I hurriedly wrote down the ingredients as he was throwing everything together. The recipe consisted of dried Guajillo chili peppers, roasted garlic, cloves, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and vinegar all blended together. I pulled the roasts out of the refrigerator and poured a batch of the marinade over each and tossed them back in the fridge.
Sunday I pulled the roasts out of the fridge mid-morning and let them come to room temperature. Around noon I plugged the slow cookers in and put them on low. About an hour before Jeff got home from work I turned it up to high to finish cooking. While Jeff and Dimitri worked on the sides I shredded the pork in preparation for the meal. We had tacos (Dee's was naked meaning no tortilla) and they turned out great!!!
Anyway, we pulled a huge pork loin out of the deep freeze on Friday morning fully expecting that by Saturday around noon it would be thawed completely. It wasn't thawed all the way through but it was thawed enough that Jeff was able to cut it in half using a giant chef knife. He cut off three steaks from the end that was thawed the most. Then we put each large piece into a slow cooker and put them back in the refrigerator to thaw completely.
While Jeff and Dimitri went out to grab a couple things we needed I made some buttermilk ranch dressing and blue cheese dressing. I also put together the Barbacoa marinade. It is a recipe Rick Bayless made on his TV show where I hurriedly wrote down the ingredients as he was throwing everything together. The recipe consisted of dried Guajillo chili peppers, roasted garlic, cloves, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and vinegar all blended together. I pulled the roasts out of the refrigerator and poured a batch of the marinade over each and tossed them back in the fridge.
Sunday I pulled the roasts out of the fridge mid-morning and let them come to room temperature. Around noon I plugged the slow cookers in and put them on low. About an hour before Jeff got home from work I turned it up to high to finish cooking. While Jeff and Dimitri worked on the sides I shredded the pork in preparation for the meal. We had tacos (Dee's was naked meaning no tortilla) and they turned out great!!!
Comments