Sauerkraut...

I've been hording the last bit of the Sauerkraut I made a few months ago.  Okay, I actually kept forgetting about it.  Anyway, I finally remembered to get some bratwurst to go with it (Sprout's Farm Market Garlic Pork Brats).  So, my amazing hubby cooked the brats with the kraut and did roasted potatoes with it.  Again, I didn't get pictures but it was a great meal.

For those who don't know how to make sauerkraut, it's VERY easy.  A large batch is about 4 pounds cabbage to 2 tablespoons of salt.  Mix the salt in and let it set for about 5 minutes or until it starts to "water."  You use a stone crock and a wooden stamper to pound the cabbage and break it down.  You may have to remove some of the liquid and set it aside (don't throw it away).  Once all the cabbage is in and broken down, place a non-reactive plate with some weight on top.  The liquid you drained off needs to be added back until the cabbage is covered with an 1/2-inch of liquid at the top.  Drape cheesecloth over the top of the crock to cover it.  Set the crock in a cool dark place and leave it alone for at least 6 weeks.  Check the cabbage, it should have a layer of brown to dark brown (possibly slimy) cabbage on top but the stuff underneath should be very light tan or white and should smell like sauerkraut (kind of a buttery sour smell) that doesn't overpower the nose.  If it smells like rotting garbage, you may have a bad batch.  Carefully remove the top layer of cabbage and discard.  Drain the rest and either bag it for the freezer or can it for shelf storage.

Comments

Popular Posts