Cabrillo National Monument & Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery

Jeff's father has a passport book for the National Parks and National Monuments so we thought since we were in San Diego we would hit Cabrillo National Monument. In actuality it is a lighthouse dedicated to the memory 0f Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo. He was one of the first to land at this point and set up a base of operation. There were a lot of trails, roads leading to some great surfing as well as tide pools, a lot of interesting facts, a beautifully preserved Fresnel lens (the original I think), a lot of plant and animal life, and I could probably go on. I would like to go here again because I didn't get to finish looking at everything. The entrance sign. We accidentally cut off the ship but it was a just off the road and you could look down the rocky slope to the sea shore.
A view from one of the look out points by the museum/gift shop. On a couple piles of rock out from the point there were seals. You could hear them but couldn't see them unless you used one of the viewing lenses.

Statue of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo. There were several brass plates around the statue with dedications from various groups including the US Navy.

A brass rendering of the lighthouse, assistant keepers cottage, and barn. The two families had a garden and various farm animals used to sustain them.

Inside the lighthouse looking down the center of the spiral staircase from the first floor. We couldn't go above this point as the tower was closed.
A brass sculpture of the grey wales that migrate to this area in the winter months. I believe the best time to see them was in February.

This is the lighthouse. The fence you see in front of it was used as a catch basin for rain water which was used to drink, cook, wash, and hydrate the garden.

This is Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery we saw on our way in. We stopped to check it out a bit and found some very interesting names. While digging information up online I found more than just Navy personnel is buried here...

We did a rubbing of this gravestone because she was a nurse like Nana.

This person was from Michigan. We weren't sure what the rank "FA" was for though.

Comments

Anonymous said…
FA = First Admiral

Neat pictures, what an adventure!
Gokoko said…
Hmm. Couldn't find first admiral with I Googled but I did find a Fleet Admiral. According to Wikpedia it is the highest rank in the US Navy.

Found this information about FA Willett...

Willett, Alvin Wesley, b. 08/11/1966, d. 07/16/1966, FA USN, Plot: A-G 433, bur. 07/20/1966, *

Also found out the name of the cemetary was Fort Rosecrans National Cementary. The side I looked at is http://www.interment.net/data/us/ca/sandiego/rosecrans/index.htm.
This was a very interesting National Park that more people should visit.

Popular Posts